About Source Mage GNU/Linux¶
Source Mage is a source-based GNU/Linux distribution based on a Sorcery metaphor of "casting" and "dispelling" programs, which we refer to as "spells", and a package manager called "Sorcery". Our packages are designed to allow the user to customize the package any way they want (custom CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, ./configure flags, etc.) as well as offering as many of the package options as possible to the user up-front (you will not need to know what options a package has or what optional dependencies it can use ahead of time). All of our scripts are GPL'd and our package manager and packages are written in Bash, so they are easy to learn and modify. Sorcery supports custom packages maintained by users, which can override the default package and will never be touched by updates. The magic is truly in your hands with Source Mage.
We are currently pre-1.0, and developing quickly. If you need help, or just want to chat with us, you may try our mailing lists or IRC, where most of our discussions take place, so please feel free to subscribe and join in.
See a list of our intrepid developers, or view other important pages about our project:
- Social Contract
- Our History
- Contact Us
- Glossary of Terms
- Source Mage Developers
- Developer Organization
- Voting Policy
- Key Signing
- Issue Tracker
- New to Source Mage?
Installing Source Mage¶
- Download Source Mage
- New Install Guide for use with current ISO version 0.10.x
- Chroot Install Guide for installing from chroot
- Old Install Guide for use with the old 0.9.x series ISO
- PowerPC Install Guide for installing from the 0.8.1 PowerPC ISO
- Possess Guide for installation via sorcery from running host system
- LVM2-on-root_Guide - Coming soon!
- User Install Experiences
Source Mage Development¶
- Chiliproject features that any Source Mage developer should know about
- Next 2011 Developer Meeting
- April 2011 Developer Meeting (old wiki)
- Sorcery Design Specification - to work out what will become Sorcery2
TODO: Get stuff migrated from the old wiki.